Saturday, June 11, 2011

Packaging



From the very start on etsy I've been very excited to do the packaging part of an order. I've always looked for ways to try to personalize the yellow parcel mailer by drawing or painting on it :) b/c cuz personally I would be stoked to get a package in the mail that somebody had drawn on. Etsy inspired me to go all out for folks who chose to spend their money on my silly "crafts".

Anyway, my recent obsession came about when I decided to get rid of the yellow bubble mailer all together and use pages of kids books, geography, geology books, etc. and turn em' into envelopes... It is so fun and inspiring.. and tedious, but it's all worth it! And it's cheap too. Although I do lots of sifting through books, I'll always find some great ones, and from thrift stores and library sales they only cost what?, $2 or $.50. That potentially could be 20-50 envelopes out of one book, when yellow bubble mailers cost about $5 for a pack of 10. The first order I experimented with this packaging on, I was quite skeptical on whether it would hold together or if the post office would even accept it(which they did, they barely noticed.lol). I delayed mailing it for a few days as I was trying to pick the perfect picture to use.hhaa. I was totally ready for negative feedback on this one. But no! The person loved it^-^ with the package being late and all.

Unfortunately, I have not been documenting the awesome envelopes I've gotten out of books as thoroughly as I should. I hope the thrill of doing this won't wear off anytime soon.



2 comments:

  1. great idea to make your own personalized envelopes.. it makes the entire purchasing experience special.
    i used to make shaped mailers and send to friends. I started with stapling colored paper plates together and moved onto cut paper shapes. i had one friend who didn't open them- he thought they were artwork! Sometimes post office manager would look at me strange but he reminded me to stay with in the post office rules.

    love your artwork.
    keep going.
    gwen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that idea! I might try it in the future :) hopefully the post office workers wont get mad at me :P

    ReplyDelete